Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Friday, September 16, 2005

Pay it forward

Had to go to DBTC to pick up paolo’s report card from school. Was in such a hurry as I was expecting heavy traffic, and dreaded the thought of being late. But had an urge to stop by church. Dunno why. But i still decided to stop over, stay a few minutes, to say a short prayer. You know how when we're troubled and we just talk to someone, how much better we feel, even if that that person didn't really solve our problem, but just actually LISTENED? well, i felt that way after just a few minutes in church. My mind was no longer racing, thinking of the things i had to do, and i don't know if this is the most accurate word to describe what i felt, but i felt relief.

I took a deep breath, and braced myself for the trip ahead. It was rush hour and i felt it would be short of a miracle (pardon the exaggeration) to expect an empty taxi to pass by. BUT less than 5 minutes of waiting, and lo and behold, a taxi stopped in front of me! Answered prayer! Yes, that i believe. :)

What's more, I was relieved when the taxi driver told me that he knew of a faster, less traffic-congested route to my son's school! Alleluia! While it would normally take me an hour to get to the school (much more in rush-hour traffic), this time it took me less than half that time! And i had to pay a lower fare, of course! What a plus!

Nearing the school, I was in such a good mood. :) Then i saw in the rain, a woman with 2 young boys (presumably her sons) hailing the taxi i was in. Since i was just walking distance from the school anyway, and i kinda felt sorry for the woman since she reminded me of me, i decided to get off the taxi, and just walk the rest of the way. I called her and her sons to take the cab i was in. She thanked me profusely and that felt good. I did a good deed. :)

Oh, and the driver? I gave him a large tip which was the amount i saved from taking the shortcut compared to the route i would normally take.

It was a good day... Doing good deeds feel good. Pay it forward. :)