Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Friday, August 26, 2005

The coolest person I know

This was the topic I chose for our “table topics” or impromptu speech session during our Toastmasters meeting last Wednesday. And this is how I replied:

“The coolest person I know is my Dad. Growing up, my Dad was the strong, silent type. He was content being the king behind the throne, but he wasn’t the type to push his weight around. While my Mom would be the one to really give us a mouthful whenever my kid brother and I would do something wrong, my Dad would just keep quiet. Which I guess, was the reason I was much closer to him. And even though he didn’t shout or get mad at us, we still had this respect for him. Not fear, but a deep respect.

My Dad had a quiet demeanor, and would be the one to ‘douse water on the fire” so to speak, when people were in a panic, or shouting, or generally just running around not knowing what to do. He was the epitome of COOL.

Looking back at the past 5 years of my life (details which I wouldn’t bother you with now, don’t worry ;->), my friends would be surprised at the kinds of things that I had to go through. People were generally surprised, and would tell me that they never really thought of me as a strong person. And I get this warm, nice feeling whenever people tell me that. Funny that they suddenly see me as a different person, the strong, silent type. And that is what I can credit as something that I learned from my Dad as well.”

Happy birthday, Daddy! You truly are the best Dad in the world, and we thank GOD everyday for you. We love you!