Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Friday, August 12, 2005

10,000 steps

My Mom sent me a pedometer recently and decided to do the 10,000 steps a day walking program. Starting this week, I’ve used the pedometer to monitor how many steps I take per day. Pretty cool, coz I also get to see how many kms I’ve walked in a day. Look at how many steps I’ve taken so far:

August 8 - 7450 steps - 4.46 kms.
August 9 - 7550 steps - 4.51 kms.
August 10 - 8187 steps - 4.9 kms.
August 11 - 6663 steps - 3.98 kms

So far, I’m averaging 7400 steps a day, or 4.46 kms. So still quite a way to go before I reach 10,000 steps a day. The 10K-A-DAY program is a great way to get started on a lifetime walking habit. And actually, the program exceeds the US General Surgeon’s physical fitness recommendation of 30 minutes of exercise three times a week!

I’ve been reading the “Guide to Walking” manual included with my pedometer and it lists the following health benefits of walking:
- Burns almost as many calories as jogging
- Eases back pain
- Slims your waist
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces levels of bad cholesterol
- Reduces heart attack risk
- Enhances stamina & energy
- Lessens anxiety & tension
- Improves muscle tone
- Easy on your joints
- Reduces appetite
- Increases aerobic capacity
- Can be done in short bouts
- Slows down osteoporosis bone loss
- Can be done when you’re travelling

I remember a few months back, when I started a walking regimen, walking around our church plaza after coming home from work. It’s been a while since I’ve done that, but then, counting my steps just going to and from work everyday, and it seems I’ll be able to reach the 10k steps a day goal.