Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Friday, August 26, 2005

Killer training

Last night’s kickboxing session was a killer! We started late as everyone (except me) got to Wack-Wack late because of the sudden downpour. So instead of 7 p.m., class started at 8 p.m. (and ended past 10 p.m.). Started off with the usual strengthening exercises of leg splits. But instead of the usual 3 minutes per stance (heels up or whatever), we were now up to 4 minutes. I was trying to smile behind gritted teeth, but I guess the dagger looks I was giving to my instructor gave me away. If looks could kill! Bwahahaha! :D

Actually, had classes last Saturday as well, and since there were only two students (me and Ed), Carlo had us do mostly shadow sparring. We had to go through the motion of kicking and throwing punches at each other, but without any actual hits. It was all part of our training controlling our punches and kicks. And it was not easy, mind you! After each 5-minute sparring session, we would be sweaty, and reaching for our water bottles! It was THAT intense a workout.

I remember another recent session when we had to punch and kick a punching bag. But with a twist. Instead of having someone holding on to, and controlling the bag, we had to watch for the swinging bag, and punch and kick the bag just as it was swinging back right at us. Haller, the reason I didn’t indulge in sports as a kid was because I was afraid of getting hurt! Just the thought of a volleyball flying into my general direction was enough to make me scamper for cover! But this?!?! DUH! But surprisingly, it felt REALLY good to punch and kick the bag! True! It was truly enjoyable, maybe because I had so much pent-up violence and aggression in the first place! Bwahahah! Joke! :D But seriously, THAT was another session which left us trying to catch our breaths! Am really getting the hang of this. :)