Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Toastmasters

Some HR acquaintances and I are starting a new Toastmasters group. We’re having our first meeting and voting for officers this Thanksgiving, no less.

I’ve always admired good speakers, and it goes beyond speaking English fluently. Truly good speakers are those who are able to convey their ideas well, and who are able to keep their audience ‘riveted’. This is one area I’d like to improve on. Though I’ve had experience speaking in public, it’s mostly on more casual occasions, like hosting company parties and the like. And even that, I wouldn’t consider easy! The thought of giving a formal speech is enough to make my knees shake. And since I want to venture more into HR Training in the future, I know I’d have to improve on this area and gain more confidence in speaking in public.

A few weeks ago I had a chance to sit in on a Toastmasters meeting and was truly impressed with the way the meeting was conducted. It was very professional. There are speech projects that each member has to accomplish in order to be 'promoted', so to speak. So there's always something new to learn, and room to grow. So when this opportunity to join (and actually start our own) Toastmasters chapter came along, I was definitely interested.

From the Toastmasters' manual:
"You make a dozen or so friends in one year; you make hundreds of them in Toastmasters."

"If you are a competent and great speaker, we need you. If you want to be a competent and great speaker, you need us!"

Sounds good to me! Here’s to the newest Toastmasters chapter! :)