Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Comfort Food

Got on a weighing scale just now and am not at all surprised that I’ve gone back to my former weight. I lost a few pounds a few weeks ago that time when the kids got sick and I was the only one taking care of them at the hospital. Even after the kids were ok, I still had trouble sleeping. Plus, I was able to go back to my ‘after six’ diet, and would take a light lunch (without rice), so these ‘helped’ me maintain my new weight.

But now, I’m back to my old weight. For one, I rarely get to play badminton now. And with the ‘despedida’ parties friends threw for me, the so-called diet was again no more. Plus, have gone back to eating dinner. I couldn’t help it since the past weeks, I’d get home from work really tired and hungry.

Filipinos just love to eat. Nothing like meeting up with friends and chatting while sharing food, glorious food! Take last night, for example. Friends invited me out to a sale, and though we didn't originally plan on having dinner, we ended up ordering roast beef at Bellissima. In fairness ha, it was really tender and delish so the extra calories was worth it!

Then afterwards, bought Go Nuts Donuts as pasalubong for the kids but am finding that I’m eating more than them! Bad! (Just love the pastillas de leche, choco hazelnut and now, peanut butter frost). He he he… :)

Yup, food is on my mind a lot now. I also love sweets so it’s really hard for me to pass up chocolate cake and the like. I live for dessert! And with the Christmas season nearing, there’s always bibingka and puto bumbong just around the corner. Yum yum! It’s been raining recently, too, and that brings to mind arroz caldo with a side dish of tokwa’t baboy. And balut!

When I was pregnant, I craved japanese food – tempura, maki, sashimi… so it’s no surprise to me that this early the kids also like to eat Japanese food, but nothing raw, of course! The kids have their comfort food, too. They just love french fries! They go for it plain, and sour-cream flavored. Twister fries, crinkle-cut, french fries whatever the size, they just love it! Other things they love:
buttered popcorn / fried chicken / calamares
roast chicken / champorado / prawns
sweet corn / quail eggs / cookies
mushrooms / cereal / crabs
Jollibee peach mango pie / Yoshinoya beef bowl / KFC fun shots
Buti nga that the kids eat seafood, considering I'm not particularly fond of seafoods myself.

Patrick has one more comfort food…milk! But it has to be in his bottle! Still the baby… :)

All this thinking about food! HA! How am i gonna lose weight if food is so often on my mind? Which reminds me… for tomorrow, am cooking bulalo. Just perfect for Sunday lunch. :)