Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Monday, March 14, 2005

Kiddie scare

A few nights ago, while the kids were already sleeping, and we were all in bed, I felt Paolo’s arm thrashing about, as if trying to find something. I reached out, and held his hand. His hand relaxed, as if it found what it was looking for. He was looking to see if I was there. He just needed reassurance that his Mommy was there. :)

One night, Patrick suddenly sat up and started crying. And not just the usual cry as if he was hungry, but actual scared sobbing! He seemed to have had a nightmare, so I tried to soothe him with my calm whispering to him, “Patrick, Mommy’s here. Don’t cry.” But he still kept crying, sobbing, while his eyes were still closed. I carried him in my arms and soothed him, patted his back and continued talking to him. After a few minutes, he relaxed.

Holding hands, a hug, a kiss, soothing words… these are all it takes to comfort the kids. How easily they’re comforted when they’re scared.

I wish it was as simple as this, but then time will come that they won’t be needing Mommy anymore. And I’m okay with that. :)