Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Friday, March 11, 2005

Whirlwind week

This week has been a whirlwind of events. No, no “whirlwind romance”. How I wish! ;->

So, anyway… was supposed to be interviewed for a job last Monday (the 7th), but got a call early morning re-scheduling it to Wednesday instead. So decided to accompany my best friend to the mall for some window-shopping and “girl talk”. Aaahhh, like any other girl these are what I consider good times. Shallow? Maybe. But still, fun. And it’s rare to find fun things to do which don’t cost money at all. Well, maybe it doesn’t cost money now, but you can bet I was already carefully choosing and making mental notes of things to buy once I get my first paycheck. :) Ha ha ha!

Back to the mall story! So my best friend and I were just walking around when I remembered another friend mentioning that he had a meeting at a coffee shop in that same mall. And since I haven’t seen this friend of mine in 2 years or so (yup, that long!) decided to drop by on his meeting. Turns out this was a business meeting with some Filipino colleagues who were setting up a company with American partners. Start-up company, planned for set-up within 6 months. Great timing, coz the time I arrived, they were discussing the HR component, and surprise, surprise, not one of them was an HR person. So suddenly, I was a ‘resource person’ for their planned project. Serendipity! I was at the right place at the right time, and now, I’m part of their 'team', gathering info, sharing knowledge and ideas, and basically helping them consolidate it into their framework for their initial presentation. I really hope this project pushes through, coz I already have a 'foot in the door', so to speak, and who knows, I might become part of the management team. Nice to think about, don’t you think? It also felt really good to do the report and feel my creative juices flowing again. Felt a great deal of accomplishment when I finally finished the report, and to think that I just had 2 days to research and find out everything I can about this industry they’re eyeing.

What else happened this week? I got a call mid-week from one of the companies I applied to last February, and was kind of surprised they called. For one, it’s been a month since my last interview with them, and they didn’t give me any feedback regarding my application. I thought they hired someone else already. Well, it turns out they’ve chosen me over the other candidates, and in fact, called to let me know that they’re preparing their offer to me. So I was told the COO (who’s currently out of the country) would meet with me next week for the job offer. :)

Then last night, did my 3rd speech project for Toastmasters. Was really a LOT more nervous this time coz I didn’t feel all that prepared to do my speech. I was actually considering backing out that morning, but Ed wouldn’t let me! Kaines! Oh well… :) Which reminds me, will have to send him a copy of my speech to post on our club’s blog. (add to my list of things to do tomorrow).

This whole day, have been in one meeting after another. Business, social, then business meeting again. Good thing about it though, is that the 2 earlier meetings were just at the mall (my favorite, Shangri-la) and which also happen to be just a stone’s throw away from my house. Ah, the comforts of an airconditioned mall. He he he… Mall rat that I am, I know these mall trips will be rare events once I work full-time again. And yes, my “in between jobs” phase is almost over. Just a few days away… hopefully! Why ‘hopefully’? Well, until I actually get the offer, don’t want to count this as a sure thing just yet. No expectations, no heartbreak. (Now if I can only apply that way of thinking to some other area where it will really count…oops! Nothing more from me…)

I am soooo sleepy. So drained from the whole week events, but looking back now all in all, it was a pretty good week. A VERY good week, in fact! THANK GOD! :)