Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Toughening up...

A former co-worker who hasn’t seen me for a while, commented on how slim I looked. That made my day! :D Others have started asking me my exercise regimen. Not happy with just my saying that I’m into kickboxing, but asking me in detail what we do! So dearies, imagine this:

For starters, doing crunches but not just the regular crunches, mind you! While in the crunch position, we have to do 3 sets of 15 reps of jab-straight. Then still in crunch position, 3 sets of 15 reps each of inside hammer, then inside elbow, then outside elbow, upward elbow, then downward elbow. Hey, if these aren’t what they’re really called, don’t blame me ha! Coz I’m usually in a state of near exhaustion that it would be difficult for me to retain any info! Need I mention again that for each, we had to do 3 sets of 15 reps each!?!?! Haller…

The crunches are bad enough, but with the additional ‘activity’, I would be really panting for breath at the end of each set. And that’s just the warm-up!

The rest of our session we’d be doing sparring with the instructor. Started off at 2 minutes, then 5 minutes, we’re now up to doing 7 minutes of sparring! Doing jab-straight- knee up, then later on, jab-straight-roundhouse kicks (left and right). Whew!

The first time we did this, I had a big bruise on my thigh, and smaller bruises on different parts of my leg. The big bruise was from all those knee ups while targeting the bag. Toughening us up! But for what? I’m afraid to ask… hehehe… ;->

Oh, and looking at us, in uniform with our knee support, elbow support, machado shorts and shirt, hand wraps, we look menacing! Grrrr… Hahahah! No, not really. I remember Coach Stephen (head instructor and owner of the dojo) getting his picture taken with us, and even with our gear on, we don’t look menacing at all! He jokingly christened us ‘Team Marshmallow’. Bwahahahahah!

Oops, how can I forget! To complete our ‘look’, we use mouth guards as well. Another bright idea of our dear, dear friend and kickboxing instructor Carlo (can you sense I’m saying this through gritted teeth, heheheh). Anyway, aside from the protection, it’s there to train us to breathe properly and deeply. Well, at least that’s what he said! If you ask me, he just wants us to use it so he doesn’t hear us complaining! Too bad there’s no blinders or else I’m sure he’ll want us to wear that, too, so he doesn’t see our dagger looks! Yup, if looks could kill… hehehe… Seriously, Carlo is so used to seeing us giving him those dagger looks, that he just shrugs his shoulders, and makes us work even harder!

That’s the suffering, er… training, we’ve been doing the past months or so. But 2 sessions ago, we did something else. The newest form of punishment Carlo has introduced is making us do bent knee leg raises which we jokingly call our “in labor” crunches. Imagine how a woman giving birth looks like… sitting up, arms supporting the body, feet in stirrups… and that’s what it looks like! That plus, the breathing we have to do and it is so like we’re doing Lamaze! Hehehehe…

I think the reason why our training is effective is that Carlo varies our workout from time to time. I read in a fitness mag before that after a while of doing the same exercises over and over, the body tends to adjust to the movements, and you reach a ‘plateau’ wherein you don’t see any improvement. This is the perfect time then to vary your workout and try something new. Well, at least that’s what I think Carlo is doing. Deep inside, I sometimes feel he stays up late at night just thinking of new ways to torture us! Peace, Carlo! Heheh… ;->

Carlo lately has been saying that I don’t have a right to complain and in fact, should be thanking him since many people have commented that I have slimmed down. So alright, okay, I concede. Salamat po! :)

Incidentally, I found out that it's Carlo's birthday today!!! so bossing/master/sensei/kuya/punisher/torturer CARLO, Happy Birthday!!! Peace! :)