Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Scorching summer

Summer, summer, summer… Though we had the first rain of May a few days ago, the heat is just not letting on! Yesterday we were hit with a high of 37 degrees Celsius. Terribly hot! Getting sure the kids get plenty of water to drink. Stocked up on lots of fruits, too! Watermelon, mangoes, bananas, papaya – everything the kids love to eat. Right now, they’re playing outside with a Frisbee. I can hear the kids’ laughs from here. :D

And what else has been keeping me busy during weekends? What would be the perfect hobby this summer? Gardening! Yup, I can officially say I am a domesticated animal. Hahaha! :D Actually, did some gardening a few months back, but for the life of me, after some initial growth, the plant died. The yaya took the blame, “mainit daw ang kamay nya" which I think is supposed to mean that she doesn’t have a green thumb. How difficult is it to water plants anyway?!?! Aaargh!

Already, we have fortune plants, Chinese bamboo, ground orchid, veggies like alugbati, malunggay, and a lot of other plants I don’t know the names of. A lot of plants in our garden now are actually plants my Mom planted years ago before leaving for the US.

Last weekend, I planted a lot of herbs. Got the seeds from my Mom. Basil, dill, cilantro, oregano, thyme, and rosemary. Then also seeds of fruits and veggies which we collected -- papaya, watermelon, kalamansi, tomato, and bell pepper. Really want an herb and vegetable garden, instead of just plants for decoration. Hoping they’ll all live and grow and prove to all and sundry that I do have a green thumb. :)