Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Book heaven

While my kids' look forward to visits to the toy stores, for me, it's the bookstore. The kids have gotten used to accompanying me to the bookstore, and have grown to love going there, too, and poring over children’s books while I scour around for bargains, he he he..

I remember when I was much younger (and could afford to), i'd spend hours at the bookstore. I'd pore through the bookshelves, but not necessarily buy. More like "by and by". Ha ha ha! The bookstore was the perfect place for me to while away the time. I'd make a list of books i'd like to buy, save my allowance, then hit the bookstore during their bi-annual sale! (Tightwad that i am.) :D

Recently bought myself a copy of Laura Esquivel's "Like Water for Chocolate". I remember reading this book way, way back and I remember I loved the book. So when I got a chance, finally get myself a copy. And I re-read the book in one day! Just last Sunday, actually. It was a lazy Sunday afternoon, and with book in had, I got into bed after lunch, started reading, and didn’t put down the book until I finished it. :D

On my bookshelf are a number of books I haven’t read yet. Titles like “100 years of solitude” by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, “Seabiscuit” by Laura Hillenbrand, “Snow falling on Cedars” by David Guterson, “The Horse and his boy” by C.S. Lewis, “In the name of the Rose” by Umberto Eco, “The Rainmaker” by John Grisham, as well as classics by Shakespeare (“Macbeth” & “The Merchant of Venice”) and Ernest Hemingway (“True at First Light” and “The Sun also rises”). Yes, I admit it! I haven’t read those classics. Shame, shame on me! I remember I tried reading “War & Peace” years back, but for the life of me, couldn’t get past the first few chapters! Just trying to remember the names was such a chore for me! My loss, I guess… So many books, so little time!

Am currently reading Richard Bach’s “Running from Safety” and Dr. Paul Hauck’s “How to bring up your child successfully”. The first is a novel from the same author of “Jonathan Livingston Seagull” while the latter is a book on RET (or Rational Emotive Therapy) for use in rearing children.

Next on my list of books to get are "Swift as Desire" by Laura Esquivel, and "Love" by Toni Morrison. Read a review for these 2 books and was encouraged to look around for it. But then who knows when I’ll finally get a chance to read them. Oh well.