Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Media Noche

New Year’s Eve has always been a big celebration at our house. Whereas for Christmas, our celebration would be on Christmas Day itself with relatives coming over to our house.

Nowadays, with my parents abroad and the clan Christmas party moved over to one of my aunt’s house, Media Noche is the only other celebration that I get to plan and have at our own humble abode.

For the 3rd consecutive year, friends would come over and celebrate New Year’s Eve with us. Going for the 3rd year as “guests” are Ben and Dan. Both very good friends, the “Wills” to my “Grace”. ;->

As planned, I prepared lasagna, roast chicken, and roast pork, then veggie salad (with apples and blue cheese). Ben for his part, prepared tofu shiitake in teriyaki & oyster sauce, and steamed fish fillet. Dan’s contribution was completing the 13 types of round fruits which should be on the table for the New Year. Why 13? Well, the belief is that you should have 13 types of fruits to signify prosperity for each of the 12 months of the year. The 13th fruit is to ensure there’s more than enough. Or so they say. So okay, okay, I admit that I can be a little superstitious, but then again, it wouldn’t hurt, right? And besides, this is my way of ensuring that I have lots of fruits to munch on when I’m back to dieting mode again. Hehehehe…

Aside from the food we prepared, we also had ham, french bread, biko, putong ube and keso (cheese), choco cupcakes, and brazo de mercedes. Most of these were gifts I received from friends, co-workers, etc.

We had a hearty dinner at 9PM, shared our new year's wishes and then just lazed around the sofa, talking, while waiting for 12midnight to strike. Since wine and coffee are also staples for our after-dinner chit-chat, we had that, too.

Before 12MN, we were out of the house, joining in on the noise-making. Fireworks are a no-no in our household so the kids were content using sparklers. While the adults were content posing for pictures amidst the fireworks. Hahahaha!!!

Around 1am, we were just lounging around, talking, sipping coffee, and munching on some more food. It seemed as if we were eating non-stop, and the conversation was the only break we got from all that munching. A friend of Ben’s stopped by, so we had another person to grill, err... talk to.

It was 4AM when Ben, Dan and Benji left the house. I still had the energy to tidy up, then went to bed at 5am! Whew! What a celebration!