Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Pre-nup?

Delayed posting... from April 27, 2007

A couple-friend of mine recently broke up. And though there was no third party, the fact that they broke up was awkward on their friends. Ok, just friend. Specifically, me! I don’t know if any of our other friends felt it, but I did.

I met Cheese through Red (pseudonyms, as if you didn’t know yet!). So the last few weeks and days before THE break up, I was a witness to the bickering and once, even a shouting match. Amidst the bickering, I felt torn between them. I loved them both, and I felt for them both. I wish, as our other friends did, that I could help them go back to being the same sweet couple we all knew. I didn’t want them to break up, but it was inevitable. The fights were becoming more frequent, but the making-up part, less on the “kiss and make up” and “forgive and forget” but more like a “let’s agree to disagree” and “I’m too tired to fight. Let’s just move on”. The way I saw it, a break up was inevitable. Only a matter of time before one (or both) decided all the drama was just not worth it. But still, when the inevitable did happen, I was torn.

After the breakup, I felt that Cheese was avoiding me. No replies to my text. None of the usual online chats for even a simple “hello”. I was still trying to figure it out. Was he avoiding me because I was Red’s friend first? Or was I just being paranoid about it?

Which got me to thinking… Is there a pre-nup on friends? Unwritten maybe, but still a pre-nup. Hay… At least in my case, all OUR friends, are still MY friends after the breakup with the ex (he-who-must-not-be named). They chose me, of course! If you're my friend, you should know why. :)