Thought Bubbles...

musings, rantings, and what-have-you, about my own small part of the world, and my 'sometimes' not so-ordinary life...something to read and reflect on, and which hopefully will bring a smile to your face... :)

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Things to be grateful for

06 August 2004

- Going home last night, i was seething when i recalled a sarcastic remark a "superior" made that morning. i was turning over that incident over and over in my head, and couldn't get over the feeling that the remark was totally uncalled for. i mean, he didn't have to be so sarcastic. there were so many other ways he could have talked to me. aargh! it was times like this when i seriously re-think my plans of leaving.

But then, listening to the radio, i heard a report about the Filipino conjoined twins and how their operation was a success... and this other news program wherein 2 kids were talking on the phone. one was a 13-year old boy who donated his P300 savings to the other kid who needed to undergo an operation. awwwww... how sweet! suddenly i forgot about my own problems. how blessed i felt that my kids aren't sick, that we have health coverage, etc.

Later that night, i rummaged through my things and found my notebook with the cover "A booklet of my blessings". Sort of like a gratitude journal, something i started late last year (2003). How long has it been since i wrote anything in this? Last entry was May 01, 2004. Gosh, has it really been that long since i had something to be thankful for?! Looking back, the answer was no, but i guess i was too wrapped up in my so-called "busy-ness" that i forgot to acknowledge the blessings i had been receiving. Tsk tsk... mental note to myself... spend more time being thankful!!!

Sifting through the notebook, i came upon a print-out of an email written mid-2000, and sent to a dear friend for his birthday. included was a list of my favorite "goodthings"...

"Dear ___, i know i said before that i wouldn't share my own list of favorite goodthings with you because i felt they were too personal to share. But since you're celebrating your birthday soon, I've decided to share my list with you and hope that it inspires you to attain a "gratitude attitude".

Gratitude comes easily when our lives are in order. But the challenge is to find something to be grateful for even in the midst of personal hardship. So practice gratitude every day of your life! And i encourage you to prepare your own personal list of favorite goodthings...something to refer to when work becomes stressful, or when life, in general, is not going your way. Though i know you to be a happy person naman, there are just some days when things just aren't going right. And that's the time to refer to your own list of favorite goodthings...

My personal list... don't laugh ha!
- watching my sons sleeping so soundly
- when my 4 year-old son says "i love you, mommy"
- my Mom's cooking (yum yum!)
- my Dad's silly jokes and stories
- inspirational books (Og Mandino, Chicken soup series, etc...)
- "feel good" movies
- back rubs/massage
- curling up in bed with a good book
- hugs and kisses from people i love
- knowing i've made someone happy
- memories of swimming/snorkeling in Pangasinan (white sand beaches)
- watching my "bunso" learning how to walk
- reminiscing with old and dear friends
- laughing uninhibitedly (LOL)
- cuddling and snuggling in bed
- love letters
- reading journals/diaries of my past; listening to songs from high school
- baby pictures
- quiet moments lying on the grass (or on the beach) and looking up at the sky and white, puffy clouds
- chocolate cake
- watching the sunset on the beach (with a loved one, a pre-requisite)
- CHILI's mashed potatoes

Happy birthday, my dear friend! GOD BLESS! "